Don't use the sun as an excuse not to exercise but use these handy tips to ensure you stay healthy.
1) Keep hydrated – make sure you have a water bottle with you and take sips during your session and drink a tall glass when you have finished your workout.
2) If you are outside then think about wearing a light, breathable running cap. Also sunscreen is a must (don’t forget the ears!), we’re working on our health, not a tan!
3) Wear light, loose fitting clothing in a breathable clothing–like cotton or specialty exercise clothing which will allow your body to sweat and for that sweat to be evaporated in the air. Try to find should also be light-colored clothing because the lighter the clothing, the less the sun will beat down and trap the heat, adding unnecessary warmth to your already hot workout.
4) Try and avoid exercising between 10am and 3pm, if you are a lunchtime exerciser then try and find shaded paths and parks to keep out of the sun.
5) Perform your workout at a lower intensity than usually, It takes time for your body to adjust to changes in temperature, specifically to heat–it needs to lower your heart rate and body temperature when outside, and it takes a week or two to do so (not that we get a week or two of this weather in a row in the UK! )
6) Most importantly, listen to your body. Stop immediately if you're feeling dizzy, faint or nauseous. Think about finding an exercise buddy so you can keep an eye on each other.